ECF Requirements and Benefits
- Computer running a standard platform such as Windows or Macintosh;
- Internet access to the web site;
- Mozilla Fireforx 1.5 or 2, Internet Explorer 6.0 or 7.0;
- Word processing software;
- Software to convert documents into PDF (Portable Document Format);
- You can download Adobe's free viewer here. (please note the free viewer will not allow you to create PDF files.
- Personal e-mail account;
- Scanner for imaging documents which do not exist in electronic format (e.g., exhibits);
- PACER (Public Access to Court Electronic Records) Account.
- Attorneys must be admitted to practice in the District;
- Attorneys must register in advance before filing electronically to obtain an Identification Name and Password that serve as the attorney’s signature for purposes of Fed.R.Civ.P. 11 for documents that are filed electronically.
Benefits of Filing Electronically
- 24 hour access to file or view documents;
- Immediate creation of docket entries;
- Immediate access to updated docket sheets and to the documents themselves;
- Instant E-mail notification of every document filed in your case;
- Notice of Electronic Filing (NEF) generated by the Court’s CM/ECF system, with its hyperlink to the filed document, constitutes service of that document on other parties who are also Filing Users;
- The ability to store and search documents electronically;
- Potential elimination of paper files that can be misplaced or lost;
- Potential savings in copying, courier, and noticing costs.